The first written mention of an aristocratic residence in Chlumec nad Cidlinou comes from the year 1424. At the time there was a fortress surrounded by a moat close to where today´s town square is. At the beginning of the 16th century, the building received a new fortification in accordance with Renaissance trends. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, the fortress, together with the entire estate, became the property of the Kinský family, for the support provided by Václav Vchynský of Vchynice to Emperor Matyáš in his fight against his brother Rudolf II. Thanks to deft politics, Václav maintained the estate even during the Thirty Years’ War. After the Thirty Years’ War, the Kinský family sought to rebuild the ruined city and chateau, initiating repairs and granting the city privileges.